MNBA – National Museum of Fine Arts
The National Museum of Fine Arts collection started with the bulk of artworks brought by Portuguese King John VI in 1808, was increased in the following years with the artworks brought by Joachin Lebreton, who was leading the then called French Artistic Mission, forming thus the country’s most important pinacotheca. This original core was enriched by important incorporations through the 19th and early 20th centuries.
With the construction of the new National Fine Arts School, in 1908, a project by architect Moralles de los Ríos, these collections started to use part of the new building, and the Museum was officially created in January 13, 1937.
National School for Fine Arts (Zélia at school in the 1920′s)
The Bernardelli Brothers (Zélia Salgado’s teachers)
Painter Cândido Portinari (Zélia Salgado’s colleague at the ENBA)